Skip to main content

Reply to "Call up from JV to Varsity"

quote:
I figured it up one year and it came out to around 30 Cent per hour.

I make this point to our parents every season at the first meeting. I am the treasurer of the baseball booster club, so I talk to them about fundraising.

I tell them that these men aren't doing this for the money. The compensation is shockingly low. If an employer tried to pay the hourly rate our coaches receive, he would be put in jail.

So my point is that our coaches sacrifice their time and energy to teach our kids the lessons that baseball can teach, and it is our (parents') duty to help raise the money to give them the resources to be able to do it well.

Part of the deal, in my mind, is that the coaches don't have to put up with kids who cop an attitude or won't do what they say.

I've seen it proven time and time again - the character of the team reflects the character of the coaching staff. The standards they set permeate the program. Kids who might have an attitude with a different type of coaching staff have not attitude at all with a good high character staff.

And personally, I think it is a tragedy to allow a kid to play baseball with a bad attitude. The game has so many valuable life lessons, but most of them are rendered moot if a kid is allowed to play it the wrong way.