Skip to main content

Reply to "Called strikes and missed swings"

2019Dad posted:

Along the same lines, I have heard that MLB scouting departments, when evaluating college hitters, look at their performance vs. Friday night starters to gain insight into how they do against better pitchers.

I don’t know if that’s a valid way to look at ALL college hitters, but I have no doubt I will work for SOME schools.

Maybe the sample sizes in high school are too small, but I think you're overestimating the difficulty of identifying the pitchers committed to D1 schools. The info is readily available on PG, and the kids all seem to know, anyway . . . And at least within one's own league, the info seems to be widely known -- just off the top of my head, I can think of 9 current pitchers signed (6 are seniors) or committed (3 are underclassmen) to D1 schools in 2019Son's high school's league. I'm sure there are more -- some additional underclassmen, for example, who are currently uncommitted -- but I think the bigger problem in the context of high school is sample sizes, rather than too much difficulty in finding out who the future D1 pitchers are.

I’m not going to try to argue other than to say it isn’t as easy as you think. If you think the sample sizes are too small to give valid information, why bother worrying whether a pitcher is committed to a DI, a JUCO, or a professional contract?