Skip to main content

Reply to "Calling pitches"

Every pitcher is different so I don’t believe in a one size fits all approach to calling pitches. The game plan and pitch sequences should be tailored to the strengths of each individual pitcher. Then it’s up to the C, P & PC to adjust as the game goes on based on what’s working and what the strike zone is that day. Not much of that goes on at the HS level but it does in college. In HS lineups there are usually only 2 or 3 guys that are really good hitters and it’s not too hard to navigate around those guys. So a simple approach is often enough. In college every guy in the opposing lineup can hit. It takes more strategy to get them out. To me (once you have mastered at least one secondary pitch) the answer is to not throw the batter what he wants to hit. In a fastball count (like 2-0) I have had much more success throwing a change up than a FB. It drives me crazy to watch a game when the pitch called is predictable based on the count - and I see it all the time. Especially if the C is calling pitches.