Skip to main content

Reply to "Calling pitches from the dugout"

uncoach posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I don't understand the logic of catcher's calling pitches in HS.  With that mentality then you would have to say that QB's should call all the plays in football because they have the best view.  If the coach is doing his job, then he is scouting, even in tournaments, and knows what a player likes to hit or can't hit.  Where the pitch needs to be thrown and what pitch to best help his team.  If he isn't doing that, then he might as well just let the kids play and sit in the stands.  What is the job of a coach?  The same mentality would avail itself when batting.  The batter has the best view so he should call the hitting situations, bunt, steal, delayed steal, hit and run.  The runner has the best view when running bases so you don't need coaches on first or third because the runner has the best knowledge.

Tell me any of this makes sense.  Most coaches I know personally who do not call pitches also do not track the hitters for the other team or scout games or contact other coaches to find out about teams.   Just saying.

That analogy with the QB doesn't fit well. The pitcher and catcher have the best connection to each other and communicate with each other much more than an adult coach would. That catcher knows what pitches and locations the pitcher is feeling that day much better than any adult in the dugout. It's been my observation over the years that coaches, who do call the game, call the Home Run pitch as often as any catcher could.

Then why wouldn't the receivers and running backs have the same intuition with the QB.  You can't say it one way and not believe it the other.  If you trust your pitcher or catcher, then you must trust the QB but no one ever argues that a HS QB should call the plays.  Normally it is catcher's dads or former catchers who say the kids should call the game.   If a coach is doing his job, he should have more information and data and knowledge than a HS kid or he shouldn't be coaching.  If your catcher is more knowledgeable than you on calling pitches, you need a new job.