Skip to main content

Reply to "Calling pitches from the dugout"

My son and his HS catcher started playing together in 6th grade.  I coached them in 6th, 7th and 8th.   His friend was the full time catcher, but when he pitched some, my son was his catcher.  They knew each other so well by the time they got to HS that the HS coach just let them go...the catcher started calling his own pitches as a freshman and it continued thru their senior year.  Once in a while, the coach would maybe call a pitch in a certain situation, but I know that during my son's senior year he never called one pitch.   My son liked to work FAST....to the point that umpires regularly had to slow him down because the batters weren't ready.  His catcher would throw bullets back to him and if he was on, he was almost in the windup by the time the ball got back to him.  One umpire liked him so much because of how fast games went that he never once asked him to slow down...even though the opposing coach was always complaining.

College drives my son absolutely nuts.  Their coach is soooooooo slow calling pitches.  It's painful watching him have to stand there watching the catcher look to the dugout and wait for pitches....especially when he's throwing well.  He just can't stand to work so slow.  I say let the catchers call the game