Skip to main content

Reply to "Calling pitches from the dugout"

PitchingFan posted:

Stats4Gnats we will just have to disagree.  I do believe that pitch calling is vital.  I do realize that with mediocre pitchers it is not because they typically only have one pitch they can throw for strikes, but with good pitchers who have 3 or 4 pitches it is vital.  Not just the pitch but the location.  And I still do agree that calling plays in football is equivalent to calling pitches in baseball, if done right.  I have had some good pitchers and some mediocre ones and some that I just said throw the fastball and hope it goes close enough they will swing.  But it is the same when I was an offensive coordinator.  I had players who would hit the right hole and blockers who would do their job and QB's who would throw the ball on time and to the right person and others who you just hoped they ran in the right direction.  I have always said that calling plays for football took much time and more than the QB had time to invest and the same with baseball.  I never expected my players to invest that much time but it was my job to. …

There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing, but why do you think pitch calling is ”vital”, other than communicating between the P and C what pitch is coming?