Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

One thing that I have found is that those who go to critiquing the judges are usually wrong.  The other night the MLB network hosts were about to blow a gasket over a missed ground-rule double that ended up scoring a winning run.   The talking-head went on-and-on about it and how they were going to have to come back and finish the game, and the umpires had done the team wrong by leaving the field and refusing to make the two teams come back out and play.   Turns out, the umpires had done their jobs correctly according to the rules as laid out.    Can one argue that the rules pertaining to end of game situations weren't well thought out?  Perhaps.  But the accuser wound up with egg on his face, because the umps were right.

I would imagine that MLB, if consulted, would have something else to say about Mr. Moskowitz's position on what is a ball or a strike, and that they would likely be right.

But, if one wanted to remove the home team bias, a rule could be instituted that does not allow fans to yell at or critique the umps.

Crazy, you say?  I would agree with you.  I just also think it's crazy to take away human umpires.   Who wants to go to a game where they either a) aren't allowed to work an ump (per my hypothetical), or b) don't do so because some computer system has sterilized the game?

End the end, we are not talking about children's lives here.  It's a game...a pastime.    The human element makes it more enjoyable.    I can understand some replay.  But turning officiating over to computers is not the way to go.