Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

Shoveit4Ks posted:

DVRd this last week and watched it last night. Major disparity on calls favoring home teams by umpires. What are your thoughts on technology augmenting the homeplate Umpires in baseball?

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/h...s-compare-computers/

The key word for me  is "augmentation".  If we have augmentation, then I'm all for umpire and computer working together behind home plate.   Any tool that can be used to help with accuracy or clarification is a step in the right direction.  There is no doubt in my mind, I will see this happen in my lifetime.  The stakes and money are too big in MLB for it not to happen.

Professional tennis has been using computerized line calls for years.  It amazes me how often the players are wrong and the line judges are right.  Love him or hate him, we have John McEnroe to thank for the early "hawkeye" system of the early 1990s.  Now it is a computerized representation from many cameras.  It is a great tool to call upon for a player (and umpire) who thinks they've been "hooked".  The technology is similar between tennis and baseball, however how they implement in MLB is the key challenge.  Once they figure that out, I think we'll be good to go.

JMO.