Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

luv baseball posted:

The entire thread comes down to this:  Would the game be better if the strike zone caused zero bitching?  I believe the answer is yes. 

The path to that is to make it electronic.  It will be more precise than any human being can possibly make it...and far more consistent from pitch to pitch, game to game.  It will not detract from the pace of the game and in fact will speed it up.  And when it happens and the bitching stops....everyone (or nearly so)  is probably going to feel the same as I do. …  

I agree. My feelings are most people have a preconceived idea about technology calling pitches not swung at and that idea is filled with many wrong conceptions because they forget calling pitches not swung at is only a very small fraction of what a PU does.

In that 1st vid in the article, if no one knew the PU was getting the info through an earpiece they’d never know anything was different, other than the PU’s strike zone was extremely consistent. And what is it almost all baseball people want? A consistent strike zone!