Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

Oh no 2019. My opinion is biased for sure...  But in favor of the hitter!  The tall hitter specifically. Now I realize we are apples to oranges talking youth and MLB but I am so sick of the shin high strike on tall kids. I am 6'4". A couple years ago I was sitting talking to an ump who showed up way early. We were talking about the strike zone. I put a ball on the ball bucket in front of me. The normal size ball bucket not some smaller variety. I asked him, where that ball is sitting right now is that a strike for a tall hitter?  Of course was the reply.  I got off the bench and stood up. My knees were well above the ball.  Try it tall guys!  And we ask this 6'4" kid to get that ball three inches off the plate and below his knees.  Darn near impossible.  Again as I have mentioned before there are very very few great hitters in the history of the game that are 6'5"+.  And yet there are hundreds and hundreds of pitchers in that category. The strike zone is biased AGAINST the tall hitter.  Simple as that. A computerized one size fits all would be much more fair.