Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

Of course there is always drama when Stats joins a topic, as he has a genuine talent for p!ssing everyone off with his methods. I try to resist engaging or responding directly to anything he says.

Like it or not, this question of whether or not some sort of computerized strike zone will be incorporated into the game we love is a legitimate question, and it's being discussed often in wider forums than this, including, I would bet, in the boardrooms of MLB clubs.

It's clear where everyone in this discussion so far stands on the issue. I respect all the viewpoints, and no doubt similar viewpoints will be factored into decisions MLB makes down the road.  But in the end the "official rules" of our game are not governed only by tradition, but by the 30 billionaire partnerships who run MLB.   I'm sure most of us believe in the power of the marketplace.  Those guys surely do, and I think that's going to be the major determinant in the end.  If there is a tipping point where more people than not will come to games and/or watch games on TV if a computerized strike zone is used, then that's when Robo-Ump takes over for CB Bucknor behind the dish at a yard near you.  As long as these guys' market research makes them believe that the view of Coach May et al is more prevalent, there's nothing to worry about.

But even if Robo-Ump happens, we will all probably be long gone before it would reach HS or even most levels of college baseball.

Last edited by JCG