Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

Stats,

To quote Rick Sanchez, "You're missing the point, Morty." 

There is entertainment value in the idea that the players and managerial decisions should be the only factors that play into the outcome of a particular game.

What you don't seem to get is that there is also entertainment value in baseball as a show, in which the outcome is not the only part that adds value to the entertainment experience. 

Story from my experience this year: Postseason, 2000 fans in attendance, most growing up with and/or related to someone on the teams involved, or being tied to the institutions. I've had a great game--I have gotten some truly creative heckles from the crowd, but nothing from anyone one the field. We're in the top of 11, back to being tied with a runner on 2nd, in a game which had lead changes in the 5th, 7th, 9th, and 10th. 3-2, 2 out, and a great fastball just above the knees on the inside corner. This is truly a 50-50 pitch--no matter what I call, half are going to think I missed it. I've had a great game--I have gotten some truly creative heckles from the crowd, but nothing from anyone one the field. Both me and the catcher know what is about to happen as I do my proper mechanics...see the pitch, decide the pitch, call the pitch...

For everyone else involved, it's like having two sevens on the slot machine. That third wheel takes forever to spin, and that's where the excitement comes in. That delay I take in my call isn't there for show; it's to make sure that whatever I say, it's as most likely to be correct as possible. That's why that moment is so breathtaking whether one is the batter, the fan, the guy on the radio--it's because it's a natural consequence of what we have now. 

After I rang up that batter, he had words for me--nothing out of the ordinary. These little tensions are those mini-climaxes that make baseball interesting for many fans. What was that batter going to do with a machine? There's catharsis in being able to make the claim that the dispassionate human villain (or if the call goes your way, antihero) is what made the difference. Going to a computerized zone takes away that layer of entertainment (and credit/blame.)

I'm not saying that your perspective is wrong or inferior. What I will say is that you are obviously not able to give others the same latitude in their perspective, and I don't even know if the two are diametrically opposed.