Skip to main content

Reply to "Cameras vs Umpires -Consistency & Accuracy"

Teaching Elder posted:

IOW, there’s lots of seats for all the different butts out there. If people watch baseball because they enjoy seeing drama generated because an umpire made a mistake, that’s fine with me, even though I think it’s silly. I prefer to get my entertainment from watching the participants either succeed or fail because of their abilities, not those of the umpires.

-------–—---------------------------------

can we help you this guy to find a new sport to enjoy.  Seems he should enjoy chess. Super athletic minds not constrained by referees. Archery and rifle shooting are additional sports for him.  How about electronic darts?  No arguing the lines there.  What else?

Elder- I get this point of view and agree with it except for one thing: I hate the whining, stare downs  and jaw jacking that goes on in almost every game.  I think the game would be better if it disappeared provided the flow of the game is not impaired.  

We aren't there yet...but it is coming.  Obviously a number of people will hate it - and that is OK.  A lot of folks hated when they changed the game by juicing the ball and a guy named Ruth started hitting home runs - but the game got better and more popular. 

Nothing that dramatic will come out of the electronic strike zone.  I believe the game will be better precisely as you suggest because the game will then be ALL about the players.  The umpires will be non factors.  Players will have to own it - no more crying about bad calls and inconsistent strike zones.  650 Plate appearances per season with the exact same zone should end all bitching once and for all.

It seems to me that won't be so controversial when it happens.  We shall see ....eventually.

BTW - all the folks that like things the way they are, I get that too.  It doesn't make you flat earthers ....just traditionalists and that ain't always bad.