Skip to main content

Reply to "Can a cyber-friend be as good as any friend?"

I guess it all depends on ones definition of what a friend is. I have no idea how many friends I actually have. And I really dont want to find out anytime soon. All I know is if I know you and you have been kind to me or my family or my other "friends" then you are my friend as well. If I can do something for you I will. Why? Because its the right thing to do. If I were in need I would hope someone would help me. And more importantly if my family was in need you would step up for them because you know me.

Many of the people on this site are my friends. Why? Because we know each other. We talk to each other. We take the time to tell each other things we would not tell many other people. We try to help each other. We share a common love of the game and those that play it. That makes you my friend.

There are many on this site I have never met in person. But I have talked to you for years. I have listened to you for years. I have gotten to know you and you have gotten to know me. I have never met my friend from Oregon whos son Jeff is going to be attending Duke University next year to play baseball and attend school. Duke is only 25 minutes from my home. But you can bet he can call me and I will be there for any reason at anytime no questions asked. If he needs money its his. If he is broke down I am there. If he has a problem and needs to talk I will be there. If he needs a home cooked meal my wife will be there for Jeff. Whatever he needs we will be there for him.

Why? Because I know him. And because my son will be in Ohio this summer. And if he needs something I have no doubt that Slugger or any number of our posters from that area would do the same thing. Why? Because they know me. Why , because baseball folks are the best folks in the world. We understand each other. That is a friend. A person that will do for you and never ask a single question.

Why do the recent incidents hurt so much? Because we knew them. Because we know it could have just as easily been us or our children.

I consider you my friends. You can know that I am your friend even if you do not consider me your friend. And if you ever need anything I will step up and do everything I can. Why , because I know you and that matters to me. I have many members of my extended family and people who know me and my family that never will understand this thing called baseball. They say "You never take vacations. Dont you get tired of the baseball field? On and on they go , they will never understand. You do. And that matters to me.

So I dont care as much if others see me as their friend or not. That is not as important to me as them knowing if they need anything I will be there for them and especially their kids , because they are the most precious thing any of us will ever have.

Thank God for guys like JT. Thank God for young men like Nick.