Skip to main content

Reply to "Can Dad Call the Coach?"

College coaches at least the ones I talk to frequently do not have a problem with parents making contact with them. What they do have a problem with are the parents that will not stop making contact with them. The ones that do not allow the player to communicate with them without them being on the other phone everytime. The ones that will not allow the player to build some type of relationship with them outside of constant interference by the parents.

At some point and time the coach is going to wonder "Why is the parent always contacting me? Why is Jimmy not calling? Does Jimmy want to come here or does mom and dad want Jimmy to come here?"

The fact is at some point and time your son is going to have to take the lead in the conversation and communication department in all this. When it or if it gets down to talking about money then any coach worth his salt is going to insist that the parents be there.

I was talking to a coach recently and he brought in a family with the player and he was so frustrated because he was trying to talk to the player and get a feel for him. Everytime he asked the player a question the parents would answer for the player. The player hardly said a word.

So there is a balance that has to be struck. YES parents can call the coaches. YES parents should be a part of it. YES parents should assist in the process. But the player should want to build some type of relationship with the coach. And he shouldnt have to have mom and dad right there everytime he talks to the coaches. And if the only time their is contact with the coaches the parents are making the contact that is a serious red flag to college coaches. And it should be.

I wanted my son to be the guy on the phone. I wanted him to be the person up front. I felt the type of young man he is and the way he handled himself was a selling point to any college program. I wanted them to get to know him and he to get to know them. This way he could formulate his own opinion. Nothing was going to happen until I gave my ok. The parent might love the coach and have built a great relationship with the coach. The problem is the parent is not going to be the one playing for the coach. Your son is.

This may irk some but I am going to put it out there. If your son is not ready to talk to a college coach , not ready to at least have a conversation with him , he is not ready to play college baseball. Your kid is not going to sign his life away without your permission anyway. The important stuff is going to be discussed between the two of you and then the three of you at some point and time. Make the initial contact if you want to. But really why cant the player do it? What would hold more value to a coach? A player calling and talking to the coach? Or the parent calling?

And before any of you jump on me - to each his own. If what you did worked well for you then fine. I am speaking to those in the process right now or thinking about being in the process in the future. And I post this hoping to assist and help. Not ridicule or insult.