Skip to main content

Reply to "Can Dad Call the Coach?"

quote:
Originally posted by emeraldvlly:
Lots of interesting opinions and advice here for sure. But backing up to the original post, relating to recruiting, not when son is already in a program -- and this may sound really, terribly, ignorant -- What would typically be the content of a phone call or email? I mean, beyond "I'm interested in playing baseball at your school; I have the grades; and I believe I have the skills". Are there particular things a kid should ask about or say? I realize every case is different. But if my son is receiving letters requesting he fill out the questionnaire, is a follow-up by him to the coach recommended? If he has serious interest in a school that hasn't requested info, what should his approach be?
Don't mean to hijack -- sorry if you feel these questions have been answered. I just can't find the more specific info beyond "call or email". To say what?
Thanks

Coaches often have a hard time figuring out who has genuine interest in their program, who's keeping them on the hook as a backup option, and where they stand in the recruiting process. Not much different from the recruits side.

So to answer your questions, yes, your son should be contacting any coach, questionnaire or not, to let him know that his program is where he wants to wind up. Coaches need that expression of interest, it helps them whittle down their list and expend efforts on the proper recruits.

Things recruits can talk about with the coach...
Is the position I play a recruiting priority for you this year?
Have you had the opportunity to view the DVD I sent?
Do you think, based on what you know of me, that I have the potential to be a productive player in your program?

Hey, coaches are very good at conversation, your son won't have to search for what to say, the coach'll help plenty.

Best of luck.
Last edited by CPLZ