Skip to main content

Reply to "Can high school coaches charge varsity players for lesson during season?"

As an FYI, I do charge.  I charge $15 per 45 minutes.  Therefore, I schedule my lessons accordingly.  I do tee work, front toss and I throw live.  I don't have a choice but to charge and I must take players from other schools to meet my AD's rules.  I run a business.  I am entitled to run a business.  I have run this business since 1986.  I do not and never would charge my players during the season.  I give all of you credit for wanting to take your time all summer to go give free lessons.  How about you tell us how many hours per week and how many days you donate per week for free.  I give lessons 2 days a week.  I run 22-26 players through.  In the past few years, I have had to turn down some 20 players each season from various schools and TB teams.  BTW, I also go to other schools and do hitting camps for them.   Finally, I do one "advanced hitting camp" at my school each summer.  That amounts to 45-50 players and is for 3 days.  They come in in waves and I am there all day.  That camp is always a sell out and is the reason I get so many asking to continue lessons.  I guess from the various responses I am pretty evil for doing these lessons.  Heck, I almost feel guilty now for taking the $2,500 dollars they pay me to coach.  Perhaps it would be better for me to stick to fishing and ... during the summer and let these players go to other people for private lessons where they will pay $50/for half an hour.