Skip to main content

Reply to "Can high school coaches charge varsity players for lesson during season?"

NewUmpire posted:

Have to ask ....  would you have an issue with the band teacher giving private music lessons?  What about the math teacher charging for SAT prep classes?   Maybe the art teacher?  Each state / district has different rules and standards.  If the payments are above board and disclosed to the AD or Board of ED - and tyhe lessons do not impinge on the time spent with the team - that should be sufficient.  Keep in mind most districts have rules on the number of hours / days per week that you can practice.  I applaud the coaches that run a side business doing what they love and putting extra time in to help the players that want it.  If that coach did it for free.. then he could be in violation of "practicing" over the alloted times.  There is no doubt a few bad apples in every bunch that may give preffered time to certain players over others - and there will be the perception that the playing time is paid for via lessons.  That is the ADs job to oversee and make sure the coach is perfoming his functions competently.  

I don't have a problem with any of this, as long as it is outside of normal practice hours.  It's one thing to have office hours to provide extra help  in math, etc for whoever wants to drop by, or for a coach to stay late and throw extra batting practice or hit additional ground balls.  But a private lesson at 7pm for one kid (who happens to play for the HS team)?  I don't see any reason why this should be a freebie for the kid.

Like I said earlier, times are changing and HS baseball, at least in Southern California, is trying to up its game and compete with travel ball.  It is now year-round and many good HS programs are coached by guys who also run travel organizations.  The ADs want to win and this is one of the accommodations that is being made to get good coaching.