Skip to main content

Reply to "Can non Travel Players Get to the Next Level?"

The direct answer to the headine question is of course, yes, you can get recruited without doing travel ball.

But the question is not just whether someone, somewhere will take you.  The question is whether you are taking charge of the process, so that you end up at the school that is the right fit for you academically, socially, financially, and as to level of baseball.

It's possible to do all that without travel, but doing without travel ball makes it much more difficult to succeed.

FYI, if the problem for your family is money, many organizations (including ours) offer fee reductions or even total waivers, if there is proof of genuine financial hardship.  Car pooling/ room sharing with teammates also helps.

I do get somewhat perturbed, though, when families say they intend to send their son to college, but they cannot fund travel ball.  First of all, how are they intending to pay for college if things are that tight?  Financial aid, even when obtained, seldom pays for everything.  Secondly, the minimum D1 scholarship is 25%.  Four years of that would equate to roughly one year out of your four years in college getting fully paid for.  Elite pitchers tend to do substantially better than the minimum, too.  Getting stingy now is penny wise and pound foolish, especially since a player with your characteristics might hope to get a deal done by just playing this June and July.

So forgive me, but I think a family discussion is in order to revisit these issues.  If there is enough drive to see this through, it makes no sense to sit out the coming summer.