Skip to main content

Reply to "Can Someone Explain The Role of a College Scout Right Now"

@PitchingFan posted:

Some are just guys who love the game and do it for the pure love of watching baseball.  They can be reimbursed for true expenses but legally I do not think they can be paid.  Some are services that others pay for their information.  Some are just friends of coaches that they trust and especially in the last year since coaches can't get out there they are "taking care of" these friends who give them information.  I have college coach friends call me every so often and ask if I have seen a certain kid or kids and what I think.  I will go watch them for them and give them my take.  Some times it is they are interested or the kid has shown interest or they just a different set of eyes on the kid.  There are times they will ask me to watch his demeanor and I've even been asked to check on their parents.  It varies.  I never tell people that I am there to watch anyone and don't do the backpack, stopwatch, radar gun thing.  Some times they ask about kids my son played against.

I do the exact same thing. I am a volunteer Asst Coach at a Texas JuCo so sometimes I’m scouting for that school. Sometimes I’m watching kids that I coach individually as pitchers. Sometimes I’m watching for a coach friend that has asked me to look at a kid. Sometimes I just catch a game for fun if it’s a program that I like or a really good player is in that game.