Skip to main content

Reply to "Can we ban the bunt?"

Hey Emanski, long time no see!

Hate to tell you, but I'm a big fan of bunting.  I especially like it as a key component of pressure offense -- where you use aggressive base running, then add the element of forcing the defense to make a play with runners in motion.  It's a great way to break the ice with an early run, and if the opposition is weak defensively, you can break their spirit early.  The fact that the game ended up 11-1 might very well have been precisely because of the early approach.  Sometimes, when you play for the big hit, it doesn't come, and everyone ends up squeezing the bat so tight they just don't hit.  But when you get that early 1-0, then you make it 2-0, then it gets to 4-0 ... the other team starts hanging their heads, you get into their bullpen, and the floodgates open.

It does kill me that so many guys bunt so poorly.  It's really an easy skill to learn, so to me, this is a sign of either the absence of sound instruction or ofthe player just not putting his work in -- or both.  At the two games at Deep Run last night, I think I saw 8 guys TRY to bunt but only two who got it done well.  One kid did the thing where he bunted for a hit but was so intent on dusting the chalk that although he would easily have been safe, the ball rolled foul.  Most of the others just couldn't make contact while bunting, which when you think about it is pretty absurd.

I would definitely ban players who can't bunt from my lineup.  Maybe that would solve your concerns from a different angle!