Skip to main content

Reply to "Can we ban the bunt?"

Crooked numbers are pretty - most of you guys would love me as a coach.  MOST of the time (situations will vary) I'm not looking to bunt until about the 5th inning or later because we need to tie, get the lead or add important insurance run late because they have a tough pitcher.  Outside of that you have a weapon in your hands so use it.

Love the hit and run as well but I don't believe you automatically try to go opposite field to the hole.  I still want my guys to hit it as hard as they can.  I have no statistical analysis for this but I believe with a runner in motion it puts more pressure on the defense trying to catch a hard hit ball while reacting to a runner.  But second worse case scenario is an out with a runner on second. Worst case is a double play - it happens.

Since I'm probably never going to play any of you guys let me just say if you see me get my lead off guy on and the batter is bunting then I'm trying to get that runner to third.  I'll do a bunt and run where the runner takes off on a steal but he's looking go to third.  Typical defenses will have the short stop backing up the throw to second on the steal.  The third baseman will usually charge.  So I want my guy to bunt it to third to vacate the base and my runner is basically racing the short stop and / or the catcher to third.  

I'll do the same with a runner on second but I'm looking to score.  This time bunt at first especially if they have a RH first baseman because they will usually turn their back to third to make the play.  LF first baseman don't.  This is a much riskier play but you can catch them napping.

I love putting runners in motion to see what the defense does.  Obviously I'm in the 3rd or 4th round of playoffs the other team isn't a slouch but they are still high school kids.  Pressure does a funny thing to kids.......even my own.

Last edited by coach2709