Skip to main content

Reply to "Can we ban the bunt?"

I'm with Midlo and others on the pro-bunt in HS.  Some years we have a deep hitting lineup and will use it far less.  Some years, our league opponents will have more LHP's who can hold runners and we'll use it more.  There are lots of other variables but my experience is that bunting in HS is VERY effective.   It seems like most innings where runs are scored (for any team) involved a bunt somewhere.  

I also go against the grain of the stats and popular current thinking and will bunt early.  Assuming you are anticipating a competitive game or good pitching matchup, I find there is definite value to getting the early lead.  I like fast R2, 1 out with my 3 and 4 hitters up (of course, if defense is such, we will steal second instead of bunt but sometimes first go-around, it can be tricky for leadoff to see and get comfortable with P pick move before we need to get the bunt down).  And lot's of times, that is R1,R3 no out with 3 and 4 hitters up (due to overthrow or beating out the bunt).  Conversely, leadoff reaching and #2 grounding into a double play or K and then #3 GIDP to start a game is deflating.

That said, our hitters are instructed to bunt for hit when given bunt early in the game.

Last edited by cabbagedad