Skip to main content

Reply to "Can you be drafted without being contacted?"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
It really doesn't matter, IMO, if he is just getting some attention, I doubt whether it would be enough to mean much, to be drafted to give up school.

Most of the guys drafted in very late rounds in sons organization are all gone, even some from last year.

I am not sure that most realize how much more an advantage is being drafted early vs.late (except a prospect falls due to signability). HS players after a certain round should not give up their college eligibility. JMO.

The above is probably correct,after a certain round the GM lets the scouts fight out whose guys will get called. I would assume the top scouts get their man (men).

It's not probably correct, it is. The GM will be there generally for the 1st round, sandwich round(supplemental 1st round) and 2nd. Then will let the scouting supervisors and cross checkers handle the rest of the draft. The last 30 rounds of the draft are different for each organization. Some teams will intensely draft till the last pick and some will pull out a newspaper or ham sandwich in those rounds and let other cross checkers handle the picks.

Your statement is wrong about not signing after a certain period in the draft. There have been plenty of big leaguers that have come out of the last 30 rounds. I've seen players sign for $150k-250k in rounds 25-35. It just depends on which team drafts you and who is drafted in front of you. Teams don't draft players to get to AA, they draft you if they feel you can get to the big leagues in 3-5 years. It also depends on the families financial situation and what kind of school they have lined up for the following year. There can't be a definitive line between signing and not by certain rounds, it's all situational. You may not know this, but in order to give a player money that is over slot, the team must get permission from the front office. This does happen in late rounds and it happens every year.

The bottom line is that everything is situational.