Skip to main content

Reply to "Can you be drafted without being contacted?"

The only communication I had from my area scout was 10 min before I was selected. He called and simiply asked, "We're thinking of taking you with the next pick; will you sign?" The organizations that showed the most interest, either passed on me or planned on picking me up in later rounds.

I think signability has almost as much to do with draft position as tangibles and projectibilty (particularly in early rounds, 1-10); Too many recent examples to list.

In my experience, contrary to what I had heard while in school, every player on the roster was given ample opportunity to prove himself regardless of draft position or dollars invested. Guys that produced stuck around; guys who didn't were eventually released (Spoiler Alert: big bonus guys do get more opportunities to fail than the college free agent who signs for $1K). Then there are stories about guys, like Brad Ziegler (OAK), who was released the same day I was. 5 years later he throws 38+ consecutive scoreless innings to begin his rookie year.
Last edited by cmcconnell