Skip to main content

Reply to "Can you be drafted without being contacted?"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Mr UticaBrewersGM,

Infielddad is correct, you do not have to educate us as to the process. BTW, you and I both know that many players are drafted because organizations have teams to fill, they are ALL not seen as future big leaguers.

I, this situation, I am NOT speaking about the guy who slips due to signability, I am talking about the player who gets drafted late to fill up the rounds, to fill up the team. And the parent who asked this question understands my distinction.

In 2007,my son roomed with a player for a short period who was drafted 30 something round out of HS and signed for 40K (plus college).

Best description was he often looked like a deer lost in the headlights, and by seasons end, he admitted he should have gone to school. It's not much fun playing in 90+ degrees with 100% humidity on the backfields of the complex,with most of your teammates not even speaking english, I think that most of us understand that is a possibility.
College is a better option for those type of drafted players and you know that.

The question asked was can you be drafted without being contacted. Again, the answer is yes, however the OP understands that some info has to be submitted for consideration.

Not everyone on this forum has experienced the game as a scout or scouting supervisor. I am simply educating people that ask the questions. It's tough to give opinions on computers because you can't feel out mood and emotion. I don't want to come off pompous or snide: were you ever a scout or college coach? Anyone in your family? Just trying to figure out where your insight and knowledge comes from.

As far as fill players go, many times coaches sons will get drafted, scouts sons will get drafted, and other "favor" draft picks will be chosen. A lot teams will sign free agents to fill out teams. So in a sense yes, you are right to some extent, but every organization is different.

Teams aren't going to draft a high school kid to fill out a team. College seniors usually fill out that role.

Whoever drafted your sons roomate didn't do a good job scouting that player. If he wasn't tough enough mentally to deal with the minor league life than he shouldn't have been drafted. Maybe more research on the player would have avoided that entire situation, allow him to mature in college and then draft.