Skip to main content

Reply to "Can your 90+mph pitcher jump 2 feet high?"

What mid atlantic said...  I have read this same thing.  I believe most athletic people have at least a 24" vertical.  Think of it this way if you can barely touch your 8 ft ceiling but you can touch a basketball rim then that is like having a 24" vertical.  So I think this is a chicken or the egg thing.  Do pitchers throw 90 BECAUSE their legs have some spring or do they throw 90 because.they have some athletic ability and most people with athletic ability can vertical 24".  Sort of like taking the LSAT.  if all 90mph pitchers are good athletes and all good athletes can jump 24 inches plus are all 90mph pitchers good athletes?   And if you read the question correctly the answer is no.  There is still some room for guys who are not overly 'athletic' to throw 90 mph.  My son's trainer who interned for cressey and is a cressy deciple believes much more in the lateral jumps - skater jumps, or maybe even broad jumps etc.  One thing that can not be questioned is getting power from your legs and driving quickly down hill leads to more velocity.  Does that necessarily have to equate to vertical jump?  No, but it usually does.  For the record I could do 24" - roughly 30 years ago!!