Skip to main content

Reply to "Capitellar Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)"

Hello,

I saw this post and felt the need to create an account to share my experience with OCD. I'm sorry to hear all of the concerns and unfortunate news about this injury for a young ballplayer. My name is Matt Hernandez and I'd like to share my experience, hopefully being able to inspire those kids and parents, that it's not the end of the road or a dead end for a kids dreams. I'd consider my OCD a success, as well as something I do hold close and dearly on as an emotional matter. I feel I may possibly be someone has pitched the longest after this surgery. Being diagnosed with OCD at 14, had the surgery before my freshman year of baseball in 2005. Unfortunately, my growth plate had detached from my left elbow (throwing arm) and ended up getting a one inch screw in my elbow. Not sure if this method is still used now. It was devastating being 14 and told my odds of a full recovery were 50/50 in fully recovering in throwing terms. Continued to pitch for nearly the next 10 years and never had any problems actually never had soreness. Proper rehab and a positive attitude, I was fortunate enough to have a successful baseball career throughout high school, Division 1 and Minor league baseball. Though, oddly enough I've never had a chance or come across another person with the same injury as mine, having met hundreds and hundreds of fellow players throughout my journey, I felt I was always the only one. I hope my story inspires young players who face this injury that it is not the end of a dream and anything is possible, as I am living proof for those kids and parents who go through this injury together.