Skip to main content

Reply to "Capitellar Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)"

Not a problem at all. It's really enjoyable and important almost like duty that I should inspire those who's shoes I've been in, and now give that hope too others, that I never had someone give me during that experience.

My elbow now is fine. Minor stiffness at first if its cold. But I was always smart about it. I took time off in the falls and played football, never played in summer leagues in college. Most likely a key factor of my longevity.

The rehab...hmm looking back I was 14 during my rehab so I'm trying to dig deep in my memory. I've become more knowledgeable of the exercises now because they became routine in college and pro ball. So I was in a hard cast from fingers to half way up my bicep for 6 weeks, after getting it off the first exercise was putting my entire arm in this fish tank like sized box of sand that was heated and almost felt like it was wet because it was churning around. It was like a Jacuzzi. I would do circular movements, like you would in a rice bucket for 15-20 minutes. They always referred to wanting my arm to be "beet red" after meaning there's a lot of circulation and blood flow. This would help get those muscles working and building over time. Then over time. I'd progress to small weighted balls and flicking them into a trampoline. I honestly don't remember my throwing program but I'd say I began from light toss 45ft. and patiently progressed back each time. Mainly focusing on the quality of the catch not the quantity of how many throws. The rehab was sort of unique, in ways similar to a tommy john but on the other hand not exactly, because I didn't have a ligament replaced just a screw drilled through my elbow. Most of the rehab was to gain movement, strength and mobility back. To be completely honest a great amount of my rehab was also strengthening my shoulder, there were a lot of rotator cuff exercises.  For example, facing the wall doing circular motions with a towel. Bouncing a fitness ball overhead against the wall. Laying on my side, rolled up towel under my armpit, 2.5-5lb weight in my hand and slowly lifting up and down at a 90 degree angle. The shoulder should never be forgotten about, often guys who had a shoulder injury the next issue is their elbow such as tommy john. You hardly see it in reverse order, going from an elbow to the shoulder. I hope that makes sense. Information on All these basic exercises can be easily found online now a days. 

There are many websites you can find information, but in my opinion the best out there is my trainer Lee Fiocchi, from Dynamic Sports Training. His company ran our team at U of Houston and trained along his other athletes such as Carl Crawford, Scott Kazmir, Trevor Bauer and Michael Bourn. Zero arm injuries at the school in his 3 years, his arm programs blow the one's we did in the Angels organization out of the water. As a result pitchers were dropping like flies with injuries.