Skip to main content

Reply to "Capitellar Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)"

MuskyShane posted:

Update on where we are at:

My son Nick had a lesion that was 6 mm x 7mm centrally located with a loose body.  Arthroscopic surgery at the University of Wisconsin to remove the loose fragment, debridement, and microfracture on 8/31.  He was in a sling until 9/9 and then began physical therapy with about 6 weeks of range of motion and 6 weeks of strengthening therapy.  To keep him sane we continued to have him take infield ground balls a month after surgery which kept him optimistic about rehab and helped his range of motion.

He was cleared to take batting practice and begin rehab throwing on 12/1 which is where we are at now.  Throwing rehab program is a gradual build up over 4-6 weeks from 30 feet to 120 feet and then on to UW Sports Medicine's throwing program sometime in January.  He throws and hits with no pain, full range of motion, and all looks good so far. 

While I am sorry that you had to experience this injury, I am appreciate that you shared your experience regarding your son.  My son was diagnosed with a 5mm lesion but it is stable.  We just met with the UW doctor and he stated that surgery is not recommended at this time.  While on the surface this is good news, the unfortunate thing is that he has already been resting his arm for the last 18 months.  We have heard that it is 80% healed but he has hit a plateau because he has not seen much improvement for the last 8 months.  As a result, we have no idea if/when this thing will heal.  I am wondering if anyone out there has had such a long recovery (with no surgery) and actually had eventual luck in becoming 100% healed?  Since it has been so long, we are just wondering if this will ever fully heal on its own?