Skip to main content

Reply to "Capitellar Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)"

Hello

My son just turned 13 last week and was diagnosed with OCD eblow a month ago. Surgery is scheduled for May 1, 2018 in Boston at Massachusetts General Hospital with Dr. Luke Oh. 

In September 2017 we saw an Orthopedic Surgeon at Boston Children's Hospital.  After an x-ray it was recommended to rest for 6 weeks and participate in PT for a few months.  My son did  that and did not throw until January 2018.  His elbow never felt perfect but by March 2018 it hurt enough that we went back to Dr.  He took another x-ray which showed a new 'spot' so an MRI was ordered the next week.  He was diagnosed with OCD due to the results of the MRI and the treatment was absolutely no throwing or anything else for 6 months. Updated MRI in September 2018 and we would see if it is healing or if he needs surgery.

We went for a second opinion last week with an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in OCD elbow and other sports related injuries. He is also a Dr in Boston but a different hospital.  He said the OCD is not going to heal in 6 months and ultimately he will have surgery anyway.  

We are concerned with our son's emotional stability as he had to drop out of his AAU team and he is not able to do anything at all.  We have decided to go ahead with the surgery.

The above posts are a few years old and it would be so helpful to hear updates or thoughts on how things have gone for your child.   I have read that some children don't get full range of motion back and I have read that children are pitching again and have had a great recovery.  

I know every child is different but any input would help!
Thank you