Skip to main content

Reply to "Capitellar Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)"

Barbra17, here is our experience.  

I recently had to revisit all of my son's records.  As previously posted, he elected not to play college baseball, instead going to college and joining the Air Force ROTC.  In going through the military medical review process, we discovered that OCD is a potentially disqualifying condition.  When you state that you have been treated for OCD, you will get Medical Review Board's full attention.  He had to produce all medical and physical therapy records.  Then, they required a current surgeon's examination (he described the elbow as "perfect", the approx. 10 mm diameter lesion fully healed, 100% range of motion).  Then they required a current MRI, which was done on 2/20/18, a little short of 4 years after his surgery.  Thank god the military paid for the MRI; my insurance carrier certainly wouldn't.  The MRI report was that he had a fully healed elbow with no adverse effects.  

Last week he was called into the office of the commander of his detachment.  As his last encounter with the colonel was not entirely pleasant, he was rather worried.  He was informed that he was being awarded an AFROTC scholarship.  At a state school, it is basically a full ride plus a $450 per month stipend and $300 per semester for books.  As you can imagine, he was elated and I felt like I had hit the lottery.