Skip to main content

Reply to "Cards going young and more stats?"

I don't know that any club is pure Moneyball --- like any other philosophy, I think there are clubs that are taking the principles into consideration in various degrees --- like the Padres with DePodesto there.

My take on the Cards at the moment is that they're a bit schizophrenic. Word was that Lunhow's strong influence, particularly with DeWitt, led to Jocketty's departure. Lunhow is a sabremtrics guy; Walt was a free agent-trade guy to "win now" (or to grossly overpay for a player on the wrong end of his career guy, but I digress Wink), so it was pretty obvious they weren't going to coexist happily.

Now, had we been successful in getting Antonetti, I'd say "hurray moneyball-youth movement". But we weren't AND they put Mozeliak in the spot . Whether he's sympathetic to Lunhow's philosphies or just Jocketty Lite is yet to be seen, though I believe what happens with Eckstein and Taguchi's contracts will give us an idea. Were they to be offered long-term contracts; Jocketty Lite. If it's short term or zippo, Lunhow's hold is stronger.

But this all begs the question --- how good is Lunhow? I mean, if he 'influenced' (as has been said) the '04 draft, and ran the last three, how come we're pretty much looking at Rasmus and Anderson and then a MAJOR falloff? Why did we pass on guys who are already contributing (or on the brink of) at the MLB level? Why did we have trouble with signing some '07 picks because they were looking for more than slot money --- didn't they ask that question before draft day????

Then there's TLR. I'm not a Faction Member by any stretch, but TLR & Duncan are all about the vets. It's as if Mo is there to be the compromise between Lunhow and TLR, but it's not as if there wasn't a prime opportunity to go after a new Manager at the end of the season ---- the organization wanted Tony back. Um....why, if Lunhow is the Golden Boy?

This offseason/ST is (I sincerely hope) going to be interesting: Will Mo establish himslef as his Own Man? Will some MiLB guys break through at ST to prove Lunhow's rep? Will TLR develop said players or stamp his foot for more vets? Who will the Cardinals be......