Skip to main content

Reply to "Cards going young and more stats?"

That would almost have to be the lineup as constructed. I like Miles and would prefer him over Kennedy. The problem with Ankiel is he'll hit about .265 - .270 and his OBP won't be much higher than that. He doesn't walk much. Strikes out a lot. That type of bat can work in an RBI spot but at least for me, it won't work for leadoff (not for long stretches anyway).

I like our bench. Not sure if Taguchi will be retained but I hope he is. We have 3 LH bats starting in the OF with RH Ludwick the 4th OF. We need another RH bat or two (I'm assuming Encarnacion is done).

I really don't think we should write Reyes off. I'm probably in the minority here. He goes to AAA and throws his game and dominates. He gets called up and the game is called totally differently. If you look at the games he pitched well in 2006, he rarely used the sinker. Moved the fastball in and out and up at times. In the games he struggled at the major league level he can't control/spot the sinker so to compensate he throws too many changeups. He obviously has some deception in his mechanics which is why so many hitters seem to be late on 91-92 mph 4-seamer. I've talked to Reyes and Tom House a couple times about this situation and those discussions confirmed what I suspected. Reyes totally feels like he's going against his grain trying to throw so many sinkers. Personally, I wish they'd just let him and Yadi just call their own game for about 10 starts and see what he can do. Having seen nearly all of his starts last year (most on TV) when he got hit hard was when he tried to throw sinkers that just stayed flat right in the middle of the plate. So what if he's a fly ball pitcher?? New Busch is a pretty fair stadium. If he simply yields too many HRs, trade him to an AL West team where fly ball pitching isn't penalized the same way.

I've still got a number of games on tivo and in the few starts where he has dominated there was a clear pattern...heavy usage of 4 seam FB, not many sinkers, not many chageups.