Skip to main content

Reply to "Care Package for Minor Leaguers"

@JCG posted:

No dog in the hunt but this Twitter account has some ideas.  https://twitter.com/MiLBAdvocates

I just got finished going through the MLB advocate twitter account. Some of it is quite shocking, and I dont remember it being like this.

Son was drafted by Cardinals organization. As a low minor league player he did not put out money for food or housing during season or for spring training because he earned no money. He lived in a first class hotel. As a major leaguer for one spring training he received cash weekly for food and living expenses.   

In single A he lived with family, 50 dollars a week and they let him use their car.

In AA, organization provided apartment housing at a very reasonable cost and same for AAA.

I am aware that not all milb teams are equal. The advocacy group is calling out specific teams, which have been the same teams forever. There should be standards across the board for teams and their their affiliates.

Sleeping in the clubhouse is unacceptable, having no room at the Inn for the night is as well.

Has Covid made conditions worse? I would not house a player who did not have the vaccine.

The differences in how basketball, hockey vs paying milb is astounding.