Skip to main content

Reply to "Care Package for Minor Leaguers"

As a parent of a son in the process, I can attest that it is crazy!!  Nick has been super fortunate prior to this year. In short season and low A, he lived with host families. This season, he found out the last week of ST where he was gonna be assigned. He had 3 days to try and find housing in Spokane, Washington. Apparently, housing there is SCARCE!!  It took him and 3 other teammates 3 weeks to secure an apartment. They lived in a hotel at $80 per day until then. No one wanted to rent for 6 months. They get a pre-game meal, but no post game meal this season. He has talked with some guys in Giants organization and was told they get monthly stipend for housing on top of their paycheck, pre and post game meals. It really is sad how these guys are treated. I realize they are lucky and there are 1000s of players that would trade places. That doesn’t make it right. Fortunately, I’m in a position that I can take care of my son. But I’m certain there are many that can’t. I agree with TPM that baseball should make certain that all organizations should have similar situations for their minor league guys. The minors are a GRIND and people really have no idea unless they have experienced it for themselves. I would have never believed stories he tells me otherwise. I’m also sure it could be worse. I’m not crying over spilled milk. I’m thankful he is getting a shot to chase his dreams. But for every single player that makes it, I hope they get every single dollar they can squeeze out of the big league teams.