Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher - Leader on the field"

I am one of those coaches thats just loves a catcher to be the vocal leader on the field. First of all its a posistion that commands alot of respect from coaches and players. The physical abuse that a good catcher is willing to take to help his team win. The constant pressure to perform at a high level that is only heightened in a close game. That kid that is blocking balls off his chest and forearms and sweating through that gear all day I just love what it takes to be good at that posistion. I agree that you can not teach a kid to be a leader on the field. You can teach him some things that will help like being vocal on cut calls etc. It is a huge plus when the guy behind the dish is a leader not only by the way he sets the tone defenseively but vocally as well. But one thing is for sure, if he is not good at what he does then no one is going to listen to his vocal leadership. He has to back it up with a stone wall mentality behind that plate. Defense starts with a stud behind the plate.