Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher AND Pitcher...is that a problem?"

Originally Posted by Dadofa17:
Originally Posted by shane52:

When my son was 9 we met a MLB old-time scout for the Dodgers. He asked my son what positions he played. Son replied, pitcher, 1st and catcher. The Scout replied they always need catchers in the Majors. Hearing that statement I always encouraged catching. The last time my son caught a game was 14U LL All Stars. He's now a 2015 17 year old RHP signed to a D1 program.  And he is still learning the art of pitching. After going through the recruiting process, one thing I found out was the term " the money is up the middle" as far as scholarships. LHP, C, RHP, SS, CF. There will always be catchers that can throw hard, but their pop time and power at the plate will be better than their control as a pitcher. And a pitcher that can catch but will never have a 1.8 pop time . My  $.02

my son is heading into a similar situation:  He is a 2017 who has always been a catcher Who occationaly pitched.  He has also been the number 4 hitter.  But at the moment, his pop time is around 1.9 and he sits at 86 as a RHP.   It will be interesting to see where he plays this HS season (and beyond).

To be a pitcher, you have to be able to pitch, not just throw the ball hard and get people out.  Seen far too many catchers get converted and it ended their career. 

Two way players are rarely good at both of what they do, only a few sneak through. Those are generally the ones with power arms, but can't hit the ball anymore.