Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher AND Pitcher...is that a problem?"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Coach Rick:
Why ruin a promising shortstop or catcher because the current team is short on pitching?

Coach Rick, I understand what you have written...but the last time I posted a similar sentiment I got hammered for my kid sounding like a brat because you play where the coach wants you to play, you don't tell the coach where you, as the player, don't want to play.  Multiple people said that sounds like a non-teammate, and a poor attitude.

As of this moment in time my kid is 12, and his pitching is very very very good, while his catching is only very good...but he LOVES being behind the plate, not throwing over it in large part because of the rest period before and after pitching.

Thoughts?

Not that he can't speak for himself, but I think Rick's response was more generally aimed at kids older than 12. Maybe I'm wrong about what he thinks, though. At 12u or even 13u, it's a different call. It's the rare kid at 12 that understands for sure that he has a promising career at any position confidentally enough to specialize at that spot.