Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher AND Pitcher...is that a problem?"

Originally Posted by TPM:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Okay, for arguments sake, how does a 15 year old who is throwing 80+ kindly tell the coach he would rather stay off the mound?

You are not paying attention to what was stated.  He said, and I agree, that as the player gets older their strengths become more apparent.  Just because the player is throwing 80 doesnt mean that he may be suited to be a pitcher.  Unfortunetly sooner or later someone will tell you that in order to move forward you have to accept another position. I know because it happened to son. It happens to many many players.  I think that justbaseball player pointed that out a while back in his topic.

Why do parents that have players who haven't made it to the larger field worry so much? As we have told you , everything changes.  You might not get that, but I assure you that you will.  Enjoy every stage and stop planning for something that at this time you have no control over.

1. Just because the player is throwing 80 doesnt mean that he may be suited to be a pitcher.

TPM, I am well aware that you are an elder of sorts on this board...but REALLY?  A 15 year old that can throw 80+ in the strike zone...and a coach won't consider him a pitcher?  Please explain that one.....

2. Why do parents that have players who haven't made it to the larger field worry so much? As we have told you , everything changes.

I fully believe you that EVERYTHING changes, but I doubt my kid's dislike of pitching will be changing....so....why not get advice now on how HE should approach that if it naturally came up in a thread?  By all accounts he will be playing on the "big field" in September...should I wait until August to ask about it?