Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher Arm Rest Period"

@used2lurk posted:

@TerribleBPthrower was the driveline program "pitcher" focused or "baseball player" focused? What were the pros and cons of the program your son did...as a baseball player and specifically catcher? Feel free to pm if that is easier/better for you. Thank you.

The plan my son did was a catcher focused plan. Driveline recommended a few different drills to replace things like the Walking Windup. One drill I flip him balls and he throws it like he's pulling down to second. Another he's in a secondary with the ball in glove and throws it like he would to third. And the last one is hard to describe, but it is kind of a slow motion mechanic thing until the last movement where he accelerates into a throw.

I felt the plan was very helpful. First, my son was coming off of 6 weeks of no throwing. The plan eased him into throwing and had him at full strength by the time the HS season started. It also helped him gain a good amount of arm strength. The program really showed him how to throw with max intent. And lastly, it built up strength in the scap area where my son would get sore over time.

The only con I would say is we tried to follow the plan as written by DL without taking into consideration my son's size at the time. He progressed to the stage where he would use the heaviest plyo ball. That caused pain so I had him take a week off of using the plyo balls. When he resumed we stuck with the balls he'd already used without any issues.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to go into more detail on the drills or if you want me to include some pics of the drills.