Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher Faking Throw"

Halfmoon,

I agree with you, please don’t take the following as an attempt to be the “ultimate authority”. Often people, myself included, forget to put the IMO with their comments. For the record the following is just my opinion! Smile I am not the "Ultimate Authority" on anything.

CoachB25,

I think most teams use 5 options to defend the double steal. Probably the same 5 options for the most part. The fake throw is usually one of them, probably the least used. In certain situations it is the least risky.

Coach May,

Against an aggressive team and with speed at both bases you might see the following. In fact, I’m fairly positive both Coach May and CoachB25 have seen this a few times.

Most double steals occur with 2 outs. Often with the runner at 1B stopping (run down) before he gets to 2B allowing the runner from 3B to score. If the throw doesn’t go through, he then goes to 2B. Obviously this play revolves around the situation, who the runners are, who the hitter is, the score, inning, number of outs, count, history of team you’re playing, etc. If your team is 2 runs ahead, throw the runner out, it’s probably a straight steal of 2B in that situation. If you’re 1 run ahead or tied late in the game, with 2 outs, there’s speed at 3B, slow runner at 1B and the hitter is weak… Get ready!

On this play, the runner at 3B must take off to the plate as soon as he sees the catcher throw. If he waited for the ball to pass the pitcher before breaking there is no chance of scoring without an error. The key for the runner is seeing the ball leave the catchers hand (see the throw). It is not uncommon for the runner at 3B to cheat a bit and break a bit early, before the actual release of the ball.

On a straight double steal, the best defense is to throw to the pitcher if executed properly. On a straight double steal the runner at 3B is in big trouble on this play. The offense is gambling that the pitcher is not involved on the straight double steal.

Coaches you might want to try this if you don’t already do it. It works! When we wanted to straight steal 2B with runners at 1B and 3B we would first “fake steal”. This would show the opposing teams movement or play. ie. 2nd baseman breaking in to cut position. Usually teams will stay in the same defense for the next pitch. On the next pitch we steal 2B, the runner at 3B fakes a hard break to the plate and quickly gets back to 3B. It’s a lot of fun stealing 2B with no play on the runner because of forcing the inf. to cut the ball. This takes practice to get the timing down and we practiced a lot. We won a lot, too! Sorry for the braggin, just trying to make a point.

TRHit,

The two plays with the least chance for error on the double steal are the throw to the pitcher and the fake throw by the catcher. Actually I’ve seen the throw back to the pitcher screwed up a few times. The only error that should ever happen on the fake throw is the following throw to 3B if needed. I’ve seen the fake throw turn into no more than a tag by the catcher or a run down. On the other hand, I’ve seen many errors on the various cut off plays and throws that go through. I can’t think of anything “safer” than holding on to the ball.

Of course as you coaches know, the situation dictates the importance of the runner on 3B and the importance of the runner advancing to 2B. That is why most teams will have 4 or 5 double steal defensive plays. There’s a time and place for each of them.

There are also many different types of double steals. Many of them border on “trick plays”. So from a defensive standpoint, it doesn’t make much difference if you believe in “trick plays”. You still have to defend them, like it or not!

I apologize for the length, but I love these type discussions. Got to get to work now!