Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher signals for pickoffs"

Steve A. posted:
IEBSBL posted:
Steve A. posted:

Say you are giving signs to catcher from dugout: Make up a signal for a pick to 1B. Can be as simple as if I finish series of signals on the hat, I want a pick to 1B. Catcher then puts hand down to give sign & instead of 1,2 etc, he flips his thumb towards 1B (subtle, don't jerk the thumb). Pitcher then knows to pick 1B. (Runner & opposing coaches unable to see this thumb flip)

Second base Pickoff. Again, make up whatever you want. Finish on chest = pick to 2B. Catcher puts signs down: puts down 2, 2, 2 then a fist. SS has to be looking in to see it. Pitcher & SS then know pick 2B. Pitcher comes set & continues looking HOME (NOT TO 2B!) SS breaks & when catcher sees daylight between SS & Runner he drops his glove, this is the trigger for the pitcher to spin & throw to 2B. ** This is not an "inside move to 2B," but a quick spin & throw. You will get more than you would expect.

Don't pick to 3B. Usually a disaster & where is he going anyway.....

Respectfully haave to disagree with the catcher pick to 3B, at least with 0 outs and probably with 1 out.

Where are they going???  They are probably scoring.  

84% of all runners with 0 outs score and 66% of all runners with 1 out score.  Why not back pick if the opportunity presents itself.

Several reasons:

#1: It is rarely, if ever practiced. This usually = a disaster when attempted.

#2: There is no backup like a pick to 2B.

#3: 100% the run scores if you screw it up.

#4: You do not see it, ever, in a pro game as it is clearly a low percentage risk / reward.

I agree that a pick off attempt at 3B is high risk.  But I'm in favor of it in the right situation.  I'm even seeing it done more in MLB.  At least in terms off pick off attempts at 3B by the pitcher.  If you have an athletic pitcher that can sell a move to home plate out of the stretch & still manage to come out of it and throw to 3rd w/o it being an obvious balk you have got something.  Its no different than a good LH move to 1B, its just not as common.  Its most effective with the 3B playing back off the bag. Even a little deeper than normal.  Then it turns into a timing play.  The 3B breaks to the bag as soon as he sees the pitcher lift his leg.  The pitcher has to throw to the 3rd baseman as he is breaking to the bag which requires the ball to be thrown to the OF side of 3B.  The 3rd baseman has to learn not to slow down once he has the ball because (if done properly) the play doesn't occur at the base - it results in a tag out 10' off the base.  My teams have successfully pulled off his play more times than I can count - in fact we did it 4 times in one tournament championship game.  It is especially effective if you have an overly aggressive runner on 3B and/or a 3B coach that doesn't have his head in the game.  Its usually a good idea to clue the umpires in before the game starts if there is a chance you might attempt this.  Otherwise they may call a balk just because they are caught by surprise.  Again, its risky (and it takes practice) but if you pull it off it can change the momentum of a game in a heartbeat.