Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher/Pitcher talk...."

To define the relationship between the pitcher and catcher is anything but boring, yet is crucial to any successful program.

Yes, I tell my catchers they have the tough job of keeping pitchers motivated and emotionally stable and more so on the field then in school.

I also teach my catchers I look to them to
be responsible for pitcher productivity and success.

Coaches can help with advice and encouragement between innings as well,

During in the field situations the catcher must provide the pitcher with more encouragement than advice.

Between innings, I always have the catcher sit next to the pitcher (that is unless a perfect is being tossed, and then the pitcher sits alone on the far side of the dugout or bench.)

During game situations but off the field, the catcher can provide that advise and encouragement.

I like it when catcher's call the game.
I have also had pitchers call there own game (and from the mound)

I am not a huge fan of the catcher calling time out, going to the mound, and whatever.

I teach my catchers to have some idea about
a pitcher's strengths and weaknesses, what is 'working' that inning, what's not working now.

To me, I am not fond of coaches calling signals or making situational decisions.

At any level, teach correctly and each pitcher will become quite capable of the fundamentals and will be playing the game correctly.

And yes, that is why Pitchers are #1 in the book.
Catchers are #2.