Skip to main content

Reply to "Catcher/Pitcher talk...."

quote:
Originally posted by J H:
coach- I would add a #4 also. There are many times where a pitcher may feel as if they are a bit overwhelmed throughout the game. The mound can be a VERY lonely place when things aren't going your way, and the loneliness can seem like it lasts for days. Often times a pitcher can be so wrapped up in the situation around them or the emotions that they feel because of the happenings of the game that they lose their mental composure. Mental composure can be a difficult read for a coach or a catcher because it is sometimes difficult to see a pitcher losing it (the "poker face" remains on). I feel that during times of the game that might seem a bit overwhelming for a pitcher, or a time of a game where the momentum seems to be turning for the other team's benefit, it could behoove the catcher to take a mound visit. Talk about the weather, a teacher, a girlfriend, how stupid an opponent's socks look. Anything that could be construed as a normal conversation that could take the pitcher out of the element of feeling overwhelmed and back into the feeling that he is accustomed to.

I agree with you here JH, but as coach2709 stated, hopefully it doesn't happen often. In the classic movie BULL DURHAM, one of the funniest clips in the movie was the visit to the mound by the assistant/pitching coach after Crash and the entire infield met at the mound....

(Asst Coach) It looks like a convention out there, pretty soon they’re gonna call the role. (Head coach) GET OUT THERE!. (Asst coach) whats goin on here? (Crash) Well.. one of Knuke’s eyelids are jammed, and we need a live chicken?.. live chicken to get the hex off of Jose’s glove, and nobody seems to know what to get Jimmy or Millie for their wedding present. We are dealing with a lotta "Stuff" out here. (Asst. coach) Well uhhh candlesticks are always nice and maybe a place setting…lets go get em.

Sometimes you just need to break things up to change the ryhthm of the game. Similar to a batter stepping out and calling time to break things up. As a pitcher (years ago), the last thing I wanted was my catcher to come out and tell me to hit my spots! Today, there's no doubt that my son wouldn't be a big fan either...on the other hand, a little joke, or conversation to help the pitcher relax (Besides the other 3 situations coach pointed out) should be welcome. Sometimes it comes down to the relationship the catcher has with his pitchers. Keep it simple, and keep it fun!
Last edited by bsbl247