Skip to main content

Reply to "Catchers, Arm Injuries"

Tequila, I don't want to over step here because my son is just a 2023 - but I have some thoughts on the subject.  He recently returned to active play from an elbow injury - evulsion/fracture.  Personally, I think the problem was the fact that the whole season he had been catching and pitching for his team.  But, I found the article interesting.  In all the "specialized" catching instruction he has gotten these last 3 years - everyone teaches the 'rake the face' thing so that the ball gets as quickly as possible to the position in back of the helmet for the catcher to throw.  From what I read, it seems like the author endorses more of circular motion - but basically says there is no actual time lost there as long as the lower half is still engaging during that time anyway.  I think it sounds like it makes sense, but I wonder if the scouts that are out there today will just see kids who throw this way as 'lazy' or 'untrained'.  I mean, if they are hitting that magical pop time number of sub-2.0.....does it matter?