Skip to main content

Reply to "Catching mask"

My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team and I have argued for him to use the two piece because rules did not specifically state that the catchers helmet needed to be NOSCAE approved. I'm no doctor but if I can minimize the trauma to my sons head, I'm for it. On the other hand, he is a very good catcher with a lot of experience behind the plate. I wouldn't allow one of my newer catchers to use the two piece unless they can show me their skills/mechanics are up to par.

I don't mind that this has been talked about before. This forum has minimum activity. It's nice to see any new post