Skip to main content

Reply to "Catching Video, Feedback Appreciated"

MTCatcherDad14 posted:

Wesley,

First, I think it is great that you are doing this.  From experience I know that it is difficult to narrow down multiple shots into a concise video.  It is important, though that you shorten it, if the intent is to get a college coach to view it.  I recommend 2 minutes but no more than 3.

My other points:

The glove flip is common and typically used as a relaxation technique.  Dont worry about that.

I would definitely include hitting, maybe the first part if it is the strength of your game.

Too much receiving and blocking in the video.  Take out the clips where your butt gets high.

Take out the clips where you are throwing off of your knees.  

Take out the clips where you are bouncing the throw to second.  

POP times are important but so is accuracy.  It looks like you are between 2.05 and 2.3.  Understand who your audience is?  D1, D2, D3, JC, etc?  You can look up general standards for each level.  

Again, I think it is great that you are taking the initiative to do this.  When my son was recruited, his video definitely helped.  However, I also needed to make a lot of changes after I first put it together and shortening it was the most important.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will include hitting in future videos. I will shorten it some more by taking out the clips you suggested. I will get more video of my throws to second. I got this video taken a couple weeks ago and have gotten better. Got my pop time down below 2.0 and my best at a 1.8.