Skip to main content

Reply to "Caught Stealing Percentage"

Much to your disappointment a stolen base is a pure statistic. If the official scorekeeper awards a stolen base to a base runner then the catcher (and the pitcher) are held accountable for that stolen base. Being the father of a catcher I see plays that result in stolen bases where the catcher could NOT have prevented the stolen base yet he is held accountable. So be it. Parental explanations of inequities in the rules are viewed as opinions and should NOT be used to promote one’s son.
The worth of a catcher is in the eyes of the beholder. There are many areas a catcher is judged on and each “judge” would be somewhat different. I do believe passed balls indicate the ability (or inability) of a catcher to call the game (being crossed up creates passed balls) and does indicate to a degree his basic receiving skills. Wild pitches have nothing to do with the catcher ---- I know where you are going with this but you’re getting a little too deep--- you have to trust me wild pitches have nothing to do with a catcher. If a catcher catches a wild pitch then there was no wild pitch for the catcher to catch. As I see it a parent of a catcher has to accept wild pitches and passed balls and stolen bases and leave the evaluation of their son (catcher) up to the coaches and scouts. You need to refrain from ever saying: "Yes, my son had 10 bases stolen off him but..." Big Grin
Fungo