Skip to main content

Reply to "Caught Stealing Percentage"

Rob Kremer, I apologize. Maybe I'm trying to portrait you that way because that is the way I am and most parents are --- (deep inside). Big Grin
Last evening I was listening to my son's game (he's catching). The announce says: The runner goes, the throw is right on the money, in time, and he guns the runner down---- wait folks, the ball comes loose"! Stolen base. Actually it should have been caught stealing with an error on the SS but it showed in the stats as SB. As a dad I don’t feel as if that’s fair. But knowing baseball as I do I know it is fair. --- BUT-- This has happened twice in the last two days. But it's still fair.
I've been the parent of a pre-high school player, a high school player, a college player, and now a pro player. I know the feelings of frustrations I’ve felt and the perspective I was forced to view the game. No matter where I looked it seemed as if everyone and everything is against the player trying to succeed. It's him against a team, or him against a player, him against the game, many times his biggest challenge was himself. But thank goodness after a while you start to hear the words you’re telling your son. “Control the things you can and ignore the things you can’t. This is just a game ---What’s the big deal? It’s nothing more than see the ball hit the ball --- it’s as simple as catch and throw”. I calmly hang up the phone after giving him some encouragment and then I kick the dog! Wink
Fungo